The Luxembourg Secession New hang in the Kutter Rooms
- Guided Tour
- FR - 16:00 - 15 September 2019
- FR - 18:00 - 11 July - 1 August - 24 October 2019
- LU - 16:00 - 3 November 2019
- EN - 16:00 - 15 December 2019
In 1929, exactly 90 years ago, the second Salon of the Secession opened its doors in Luxembourg. Today, the first Salon of the Secession in 1927 is considered one of the major events in Luxembourg art history. It was inspired by earlier secessionist movements in Munich (1892), Vienna (1896) and Berlin (1987). Wanting to turn towards Fauvism and Expressionism, several Luxembourg artists who all studied in Munich broke with 19th century academic conventions but also with Impressionism.
Nevertheless, the Secession cannot be considered as a moment of rupture where tradition is replaced by modern art. They are rather coexisting in the Secession's exhibition. At the beginning, not all of its nine members adhered to modernist movements. Some continued to paint in more traditional ways and joined the group less because of artistic concerns than out of friendship. Quality prevails over the quantity of works put on display. At the heart of the group were its leader Joseph Kutter (1894-1941), its secretary Nico Klopp (1894-1930) as well as Claus Cito (1882-1965), Harry Rabinger (1895-1966) and Auguste Trémont (1892-1980).
In total, the group organized three Salons in 1927, 1929 and 1930. They mainly focused on painting, sculpture and, to a lesser degree, decorative arts.
The Luxembourg Secession dates back to 1926 when a number of artists distanced themselves from Cercle Artistique du Luxembourg (C.A.L.) founded in 1893. The Secessionists will however reunite with the artists of the C.A.L. at the Salon of 1930.