Athena Georges Hilbert (1900-1982)
- FR - 12:30 - 3 December 2019
- FR - 19:00 - 5 December 2019
- DE - 12:30 - 10 December 2019
- DE - 19:00 - 12 December 2019
- EN - 12:30 - 17 December 2019
- EN - 19:00 - 19 December 2019
- LU - 12:30 - 24 December 2019
- LU - 19:00 - 2 January 2020
Until 2002, this impressive bust of the Greek goddess of wisdom adorned one of the entrances of the Museum. It was removed when roadworks began for the redevelopment of Marché-aux-Poissons.
The sculpture is done in pink granite quarried from the region of the Vosges mountains. It is the work of animal sculptor Georges Hilbert, a friend of Auguste Trémont. From its current position at the heart of the coins and medals collection, Athena the Wise continues to stand guard over the exhibits - treasures which, thanks to Renc'Art, are being made more and more accessible to our visitors.