An exceptional historical building, the restored keep of fort Thüngen, built in 1732-33, houses the Museum Dräi Eechelen since 2012.
In the permanent exhibition, each casemate illustrates a period of the fortress’ past, focussing in particular on its links to the history of the country. The tour begins towards the end of the Middle Ages with the capture of the town by the Burgundians in 1443 and ends with the construction of the Adolphe Bridge in 1903. Throughout the visit, 600 original objects and documents, most of which have never been exhibited, indicate the richness of the collections. In a particular room historical photographs of the city and the fortress can be seen.
The architectural complex of the historical keep constitutes in itself the principal object of the exhibition. With its spectacular system of underground galleries and mines, it has largely been retained in the state of its last construction phase of 1836/1837.
A multimedia area invites visitors to consult an interactive database as well as audiovisual documentation that recapture the topics discussed in the museum. Additionally, free audio guides in German, French, English or Luxembourgish are available to the public and provide detailed explanations for a selection of objects.
The auditorium is availablefor conferences or audiovisual projections.. The first floor is assigned to temporary exhibitions.